Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Street Team Crusade # 18 - Cut It Out



I have taken on the GPP Street Team Crusade #18 - Cut It Out (http://www.michelleward.typepad.com/how_cool_is_that/) and carved some new rubber stamps of my very own ! I have done this before and love the fact that pieces I do with my own stamps keep my work original and uniquely mine ! My favorite use for the stamps is adding layers and texture to my own painted papers which I then cut up and use in my collages.

Every once in a while I grab a pile of all kinds of paper, old dictionary pages, hand made Indian papers, plain old photocopy paper, music sheets, etc. and choose a color scheme to work with. I splatter acrylic paint (Golden Fluids if I am feeling decadent - those little bottles are pricey but a little goes a long way!) onto all the sheets of paper with a large brush, watered down and/or with some glazing liquid added in. I let the paper dry a bit on a old shower curtain on the floor. The first ones are usually dry when I get the last ones covered. Then I grab my stamps, some stencils and a make-up sponge or two, and stamp and stencil another layer of acrylic paint all over the papers . Make-up sponges are my tool of choice for applying the paint to the stamps and for using stencils. It allows for nice even coverage. I often add in Lumiere fabric paints for their beautiful metallic quality. Voila, a whole new pile of hand painted papers to play with !

I can't wait to make a new batch with my new stamps !

14 comments:

michelle ward said...

Yay! A new friend! As you said on my blog Kimbo - this Crusade is spreading far and wide, glad it scooped you up. Some terrific carvings here - can't pick a fave (well, maybe that top one!) And as you mention here - it's so cool have your own tools to make your own unique stuff. Thanks for coming to play.

Kim Tedrow said...

I love all of your stamps, and my favorite is the bird. I love seeing all these birds! Thanks for sharing these. -Kim

Anonymous said...

What is it they say about great minds thinking alike? I'm another artist living in New England who has carved surprisingly similar stamps. Must be something in the water! I think your stamps are great. It would be interesting to see what you do with them.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimbo,
NICE stamps you made! And i browsed through your blog a little: NICE journalpages TOO (LOVed the little bird with a big song)
Hedwig

Pocket Size said...

Great stamps! Your little bird is so cute :) Love to hear about your process for creating unique papers from what you have, too.

mcdc3s said...

Another little birdie! And the tropical leaves... :) Yeah.

Roberta said...

Lovely stamps! Bird is great and so are others. Love your pages as well, houses are fabulous... hmmm... maybe my next stamp will be a house? Thanks for the idea! :)

Roberta

Chris said...

Oh, this is brilliant. This is cute and gorgeous! I really love that face stamp. I'm going to try that. Really illustrative, and I love that.
Thanks for sharing!

Leah said...

o my goodness! i totally love these stamps! beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Kimbo...these stamps are so lovely. I keep seeing leaves/leaf and want to try one. Your tropical leaf looks great :)

carin.c said...

You made some really wonderful stamps here... I think my favorite is probably the tropical plant. Sounds like you make some great custome made painted papers!

Kat W said...

Great stamps! I really love the arch, I think I would use that one a lot! ;)

Jo Anne O. said...

Love your bird Kimbo! All of them are really nice however...I just have a bird thing right now! Great work!

x said...

Ohhh cool stamps you made...

Hugs
Nicole