Monday, July 23, 2012

The Queen bites of more than she can chew !

So little did I know when I created this beautiful new cover for my journal on Friday evening

IMG_1980_thumb1

that transformation was going to be the name of the game for this weekend,

here at the Yellow House on Orange Street.

It kind of started when I suggested to David a few weeks back,

that wouldn’t it be nice if we added some more shade to our back deck ?

It is very hot and full sun around supper time and I thought that adding this :

from Home Depot, would make it a little more shady plus, it would be waterproof enough to even use the space in a light rain.

So David, who knows the philosophy “When Momma’s happy, everybody’s happy!” very well, sweet man that he is, agreed

and this huge, 100 pound box arrived from UPS. Thanks for the free shipping, Home Depot.

So after about four hours (with water and ac breaks in between) on Saturday,

we managed to put this lovely outdoor room together.

There was actually very little swearing and no really snippiness involved in the process which was a nice surprise ! We make a awesome team, my hubby and I !

So we have a dining table and chairs in wrought iron (all in need of a paint job!)

but this new outdoor space was somehow crying out for a more lounge-y furniture too.

During a break, a visit to craigslist nh lead me to this :

Well, a used version of it for sale in Newmarket, NH, about 40 minutes from home.

Everything lined up to get the bro-in-law’s a truck and drive out there on Sunday,

and as of last night,

my once sparse back deck

now looks like this :

IMG_1984_thumb1

IMG_1985_thumb1

IMG_1986_thumb1

Now, I see lots of potential here but also a lot of work !

IMG_1988_thumb16

Plus quite a few more bucks !!

I also know that my sister Kristina, her hubby John, and the kiddos are arriving next week to stay with us,

and my perfectionist side is bound to be visiting ahead of them, wanting everything to

be “just so” inside the house and out, before they get here!!!

Eeeks !!!

Er, let’s take a deep breath and stop to smell the flowers, shall we ?

IMG_1992_thumbIMG_1993_thumbIMG_1994_thumb

Ahhhhhh…

I will be doing my best to repeat this as many times as possible as I make my way through the week, I think !

Winking smile

Off to scour the left over summer bits at stores around town for deal on an outdoor rug and cushions!

Wish me luck, deep breaths and stay tuned for the

photo_thumb1

Happy Monday, Beautiful Ones !!!

15 comments:

bacon said...

Transformation is always woth the sweat!
So excited for your new outdoor spot!

beth said...

oh sweetie....it's wonderful...
as an outdoor space brings peace to your heart...at least it does mine.

earlier this year, we splurged on new furniture for our screened in porch and then we kicked ourselves for not doing it years earlier, as it's now our most favorite place to hang out.

i have plants potted, huge ones and little ones, candles in stands and on the coffee table and outdoor pillows {from pier one and target} to make it the homiest place ever. the bad news, it's actually been too hot lately to use it.....but oh this week looks promising :)

enjoy your new space....i know it will bring you so much happiness !!!
xo

Mary said...

Oh it's so very cool, and really it won't take much to make it how you want it! A few colorful pillows, a few plants and some candles. You will find the more you use it the things that you may want to add to make it fit you.

Have fun!

Sueann said...

Wow is so beautiful!!!Can't wait to see it finished!!
Hugs
SueAnn

Jill said...

Oooh! I am squealing!!! It is lovely. So inviting. I know you will enjoy it....and the process of getting it just the way you want it! Have fun!

Snap said...

You are going to love your new outdoor room! Have fun!

Lynn Cohen said...

What a lovely "room" you have created, a space for fun outdoor living! I love eating dinners on our patio in the summer. Our shade is a sun umbrella in the middle of a glass topped table on a slab of concrete, but it works for us. Yours will be quite devine. I am sure your family coming will appreciate it too. Have fun.

Sherry said...

That self portrait is hysterical and fabulous and I LOVE IT!!!! Cracked me up!!

I love how the King knows that if the Queen is happy life is good! ;) And the 2 of you did an amazing job of transforming the outdoor space...it looks like a small idyll for the yellow house!!!

Breathe...breathe...breathe...because you know the family visit is more about "you" than it is about what you "have"! ♥

Olivia said...

I wish you much luck with this project, My Queen. I know that you can make it fun and pace it so that it will be a gift to yourself and the King...if I were your guest I wouldn't care if it was all lovely and painted or not--I'd just want to have fun and relax with you. I say, give your perfectionist side a break, and enjoy the imperfection inside and outside this week and next. YAY, xoO

jgr said...

This is SO exciting!! I can't wait to see the next phase, I know you will love it!

Dianne said...

It's going to be beautiful! Yes it will take some hard work, but just thik what a wonderful space you'll have when you're done! Can't wait to see it finished!

Anonymous said...

Sweet, and you will surely bling it up and make it your own and it will be an oasis. xox

Janet said...

Your deck looks lovely, shady and very inviting. I'm sure you'll spend many happy hours enjoying it. Good luck on your search for cushions and a rug.

PS - the flowers look beautiful! Love the vivid colors.

Jess said...

Wow it looks amazing, very cosy like an extra room! Your sister and her family are going to love it. :)
Jess xx

Unknown said...

AMAZING! You are so great at making things come together. I love outdoor rooms - my dream one day is to have a little bit of studio space outside. Maybe I'll work on that this winter, when it gets cooler... you've given me inspiration!