Sunday, June 6, 2010

Everything has a place...

A lovely friend of mine, Kriss, is moving to California.

Because she is unsure where she will be living right now,
she is storing all of her stuff in one of those POD storage things.

Because those things get hot, she decided that she didn't want to have all her art supplies get ruined and that she should give most of it away.

She asked me if I would be willing to take her stuff.

I said yes. I figured that whatever I couldn't use, I could find good homes for.

The thing was that my own studio was kind of bursting...

Especially my art armoire from Home Depot. The shelves were a mess and I couldn't take a lot of things out without causing a bit of an avalanche.

So my friend's need and my own obsession with art supplies meant time for a big clean up !

Purging, re-organizing and prioritizing...

It took entire three days...

I didn't take before pictures (I always forget that !!!)

But I did take a couple of during...




After three long days, two full garbage bags, five bags of art goodies for friends, two boxes of art supplies that need to go to a classroom somewhere, two large bins of fabric that are now in another room and about $50.00 in plastic storage containers from Walmart

I now have a studio that looks more like this :

The top of the armoire - tidy and accessible tissue paper and canvases...

The inside of the armoire - everything organized, paper on top according to colors, and no avalanches in sight !

My altar back in order...

Instead of junk piled on it, I have inspiring things

Like my newest addition,

a little box

that came from Kriss that houses my funky mermaid from Mexico and some of the rocks

from my friend Lynne very nicely !


My work table still has a lot of stuff on it but that is how I like it - everything I need at my fingertips !


A place to paint and journal...

and a secondary place where I can set up the sewing machine or do jewelry making or even have a friend over...

Even the Computer desk got a bit of a purge and a tidy...

It all feels so wonderful to have a place for everything and have everything in its place.

I know it won't stay like this for too long but it is fun to jump into a summer of creative fun with this clean space just for me to play in !


Speaking of creative fun...

a little while ago, the lovely Deb from what's deb doing asked me for a 5x7 print of the

"Leaves of my Heart" piece I had done.

I sent it to her as a gift, and in return she sent me this gorgeous hand-made creation :

It is a lovely banner of flags made from bits of soft and sweet vintage fabrics.

Deb also embroidered words on extra bits and added them to the flags.

So pretty and so feminine. I loved it !

I though maybe it should go in my studio

but then I realized that the colors, the mood and the words fit perfectly into my other sanctuary

in my house..

our bedroom...

I hung the banner over two of the four windows that make up our bay window...

See how perfectly it works with the lovely bright flowers of my Pottery Barn duvet cover ?

I slept well last night with the words "breathe", "bliss", "allow" and "relax" hanging above me...

Little Boo says he likes the new addition to his window just fine too !

Thank you for your gift and your sweet friendship, Beautiful Deb.

Time to go put all those glorious and organized art supplies to work !

Happy Sunday, Beautiful Ones !

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quite the studio re-do, I opened a little bag of fairy rocks today. Thanks, I will post them when my brain re-engages! That banner is lovely. What a nice gift!
xox Corrine

Cindy said...

Your studio looks really nice! And what a lovely gift you received. The banner is very nice and you have it hanging in the perfect place.

Hugs XX
Barbara

beth said...

your room looks amazing.....and the banner is to die for and fits perfectly....that deb....she's such a doll !

Elizabeth Halt said...

That organizing looks like such fun! Maybe I need to find a friend who needs help organizing. Love your newly organized studio. :)

lynne h said...

good grief, kim! everything looks great now! so beautiful, so organized - so full of love! these flags have my heart beating fast... ooohhhh... love them, and love where you put them. just perfect...

xo

The Bodhi Chicklet said...

Nothing quite like a clean-out to open up the endless possibilities of creation. I have yet to meet an artist that always has a tidy work space. We like our stuff!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow we had the same thing in mind this past week! You got SO much done and it looks fantastic! It looks so fresh and clean and sparkling with good energy! This is very inspiration to see. I LOVE your desk area with those luscious green plants and the great light from the window. And your lovely bedroom, too!

I love Deb's blog and her work is awesome. That banner is delightful!

You have a gorgeous Sunday, too, beautiful one! xoxo Serena

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I love it when something happens to give us an excuse to purge and organize. Your studio is so lovely!

Sophie said...

Looks like you did a lot of hard work but it payed off. I'm sure you're having more fun creating now that your space is tidier.
That's one of my projects this summer and I'm excited about it for once!
Sophie

Joanie Hoffman said...

I don't suppose you make home visits to weary, unorganized artists in Maryland, do you? Your studio looks amazing, maybe if I print pictures of it and post them in my art room...no, they'd just get lost.
Perfect placing of the banner.
Thanks for always sharing your self & promoting love.
Happy days,
Joanie

Lynn Cohen said...

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.
I want neatness like this.
Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Jennifer said...

The studio looks amazing. I love how your art is everywhere so happy and full. And I love the banner!! It looks perfect in your room :)

Roberta said...

Hey Kim, I am catching up here...seeing what my Queen friend has been up to...and what an inspiring post! I love to see how others are organizing their art spaces! I make strides, then fill up the clean spaces before I know it!!! I purged earlier this year, only to get more stuff! Ughh...a never ending battle! However, you did inspire me to pick up my junk again, and get organized...that cleaned desk and stacks of paper (organized by color!?!?!?) really looks LOVELY!
Where in CA is Kriss moving to? If it's somewhere in Northern CA, let me know!

Love your new boot camp journal too :-)

Happy Week to you!

henrysmom said...

beautiful!! love the banner! Linda