Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Mother of All Apron Swap !

Remember when I teased you all a while back with this :

Those were two detailed shots for the apron I was working on for the Canadian Chickies Mother of All Apron Swap. Each one of us in the group was to make an apron for a partner. My partner was the lovely, sweet, supportive, talented and kind, Arlene from ArtdeMe.
I am not much of a seamstress but I was super pleased with how my apron turned out. I hand-painted the background pieces with fabric paints, using hand-carved rubber stamps and a bunch of stencils. I then appliqued cotton quilting fabrics with crazy zigzag stitches to recreate the design from this "Hope" card I made recently for another Blogland friend.

Here is what the apron looked like before I finished sewing :

And here is what it looks like on my perfect apron model, Arlene in Edmonton, Alberta ! (Yes, that is a "Starry Night" chair beside her - painted by the talented Dawn Supina, who is our swap hostess extraordinaire !)

Arlene loves her apron ! She even thinks it has magical healing powers.

She called it the "Apron of Hope" in her email to me with the pictures. Maybe there was a little white witch magic in it from the Queen. ;-) There was a lot of love put into it, that is for sure ! I am so proud of how it turned out and so glad it made Arlene feel so good !

Arlene has created an apron for me too and it is winging its way to me as we speak ! Such a beautiful thing, sharing the creative joy and artist love all around !

This is wonderful bunch of women that I get to play with ! Lucky Queen, don't you think ?

7 comments:

Sherry said...

Most gracious lucky Queen indeed!! I think the apron you made for Arlene is amazing...vibrant, colourful, full of hope and joy...it looks amazing on her as well!! And I love seeing Dawn's chair in the background of the photograph!!!

Kate Robertson said...

Apron of hope, what a great idea that is. If only we could just put on our clothes and instantly feel hope or love or joy, what a concept. You made a lovely apron..

Kate

Snap said...

Lucky Queen, indeed! The apron is just gorgeous ... Arlene is a lucky lady!

Anonymous said...

CRIPES! That is freaking fantastic!!!

The Bodhi Chicklet said...

Ooo, yes you are lucky, but something tells me you deserve it. It is a lovely piece, it's no wonder the recipient wants to shout that from the rooftops. And what fun to feel like a novice at something and have it turn out so well!

arlene said...

I really needed this magic wrap of goodness and love and Hope this week. I think we ALL need one Kim! If I didn't know how much time and work you put into it I'd suggest you make them and offer them to the whole world in your etsy shop!
I love mine SO, so much!!

I can't wait till you get yours. I checked the tracker on-line and it says it is now in the USofA. I don't know what that means, except it will be there shortly!
Me and my Apron of Hope...we're all good!
Love and hugs,
arlene

Anonymous said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! You are one awesomely talented lady!!!